9.702, Disc: Recent changes in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 12 18:44:47 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-702. Tue May 12 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.702, Disc: Recent changes in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 13:57:29 +0100
From:  D C Nelson <d.c.nelson at leeds.ac.uk>
Subject:  Recent changes in English

2)
Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 11:19:28 -0400
From:  Karen Courtenay <Courtenay at LEC.com>

3)
Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 12:13:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:  waltmart at mindspring.com

4)
Date:  Tue, 12 May 98 12:08:22 -0500
From:  "Peter R. Burton" <burto009 at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:  Re: Recent Change in English

Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 13:57:29 +0100
From:  D C Nelson <d.c.nelson at leeds.ac.uk>

To me the most striking change in English in the last few years is the
emergence/spread of final rises in statements ("uptalk"). I've heard
it spreading from friend to friend in the US (even my mother suddenly
acquired uptalk about 2 years ago), and it's beginning to crop up in
Britain.

Diane

Dr. Diane C. Nelson			email: d.c.nelson at leeds.ac.uk
Dept. of Linguistics & Phonetics	phone: +44 (113) 233-3563
University of Leeds			fax: +44 (113) 233-3566
Leeds, England  LS2 9JT

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/linguistics/staff/diane/Welcome.html