9.711, Qs: Alphabets,Japanese Frequency,Obstruents,Milroy

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 14 11:10:52 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-711. Thu May 14 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.711, Qs: Alphabets,Japanese Frequency,Obstruents,Milroy

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Julie Wilson <julie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 17:37:24 +0100
From:  nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk (Nicholas Ostler)
Subject:  Re: "7-bit languages" (A-Z)

2)
Date:  Wed, 13 May 1998 12:35:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Miho Fujiwara <fujiwarm at gusun.georgetown.edu>
Subject:  Japanese word frequency list

3)
Date:  Thu, 14 May 1998 12:08:28 +0100
From:  wid at aber.ac.uk (Dr. Wini Davies)
Subject:  J. Milroy

4)
Date:  Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:23:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:  frida morelli <fmorelli at wam.umd.edu>
Subject:  Obstruent clusters

Date:  Tue, 12 May 1998 17:37:24 +0100
From:  nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk (Nicholas Ostler)

This is just a point of curiosity, but it would be interesting to get an answer.

At 7:01 pm 12/5/98, Trond Trosterud wrote (among much else more solid stuff):
>... 7-bit-languages (a-z)... I know only #two# a-z
>lgs: English and Indonesian...

Trond was referring to languages whose customary orthography uses nothing more
than the 26 letters of the "Roman" alphabet (including j, v and w), without
accents or diacritics.  They are surprisingly few.

I could add to English and Indonesian a few more:
Cornish, Swahili, Maori, Warlpiri, Tok Pisin and Latin itself.

(This shows that "7-bit languages" may well use less than the 26, and may
also (unwisely, on Trond's view) not reflect all their phonemic
distinctions: ironically enough, Roman letters are suboptimal for Latin
which has phonemic vowel-length.)

There seem to be a lot more in sub-Saharan Africa, the Pacific islands, and
Australia.

I am tempted to allow in Nahuatl, although it conventionally uses Spanish
punctuation, with upside down exclamation and question marks.  Hawaiian is
7-bit, but would fail to qualify as A-Z in the strict sense, since it uses
the standard apostrophe as its distinctive glottal stop.

Basque and Quechua are almost there, but then use tilde over n in Spanish
style.  Dutch also comes close, but appears to have an obligatory diaeresis
over e in some words e.g. Australi.

I'd be interested in knowing of any others, and would publish a summary
after a decent interval.

The fair rarity of such languages (and the fact that they exclude all the
major European languages, as well as most others with populations over a
million) is a little-noticed measure of how tyrannous a standard 7-bit
ascii really was (is?).  But it's  a pleasant irony that it puts English on
a par with a clutch of the little guys.

Of course, if this is a chestnut to script experts, and there's a simple
single source with all the answers, I'd be even happier with a reference to
that.

                        Nicholas Ostler
Managing Director                                      President
Linguacubun Ltd              Foundation for Endangered Languages
                http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Philosophy/CTLL/FEL/

             Batheaston Villa,  172 Bailbrook Lane
             Bath           BA1 7AA        England
             +44-1225-85-2865 fax +44-1225-85-9258