9.724, Qs: CMC, ZISA database, /rg/ and /g/ clusters

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 15 16:52:16 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-724. Fri May 15 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.724, Qs: CMC, ZISA database, /rg/ and /g/ clusters

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 01:00:59 +0200
From:  "magura" <magura at cn.cz.top.pl>
Subject:  to all those concerned with CMC [lost in bits]

2)
Date:  Thu, 14 May 1998 23:50:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Patrick Andre Mather <mather at verb.linguist.pitt.edu>
Subject:  ZISA database

3)
Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 01:25:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  /rg/ and /g/ clusters

Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 01:00:59 +0200
From:  "magura" <magura at cn.cz.top.pl>

Dear linguists,
I am about to finish my master's thesis on CMC. Among thousands of bits of
electronic data I have found a following piece of text which I would like to
include in my thesis:

"Messages delivered electronically are neither ?spoken? nor ?written? in the
conversational sense of these words. There is an easy interaction of
participants and alternation of topics typical of some varieties of spoken
English. However, they cannot be strictly labeled as spoken messages since
the participants neither see nor hear each other. Nor can they be concluded
strictly written since many of them are composed directly online, thereby
ruling out the use of planning and editing strategies which are at the
disposal of even the most informal writer."

The problem is that I don't know the source of this piece and thus I cannot
put a referrence for that. I was thinking whether anybody of you knows where
this piece comes from or who the author is.
I would appreciate your help as I was unable to locate the work that it
could come from.
tafn mike
Michal Lisecki  <magura at cz.top.pl> or <mlisecki at kki.net.pl>
UIN [4324037]  IRC [lisu]  http://priv2.onet.pl/ka/mlisecki
'The limits of my language mean the limits of my world' L.W.