9.726, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 16 15:48:46 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-726. Sat May 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.726, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 14 May 1998 20:57:24 +0200
From:  Ralf Vollmann <Ralf.Vollmann at kfunigraz.ac.at>
Subject:  Disc: Recent Language Change in English ????

2)
Date:  Thu, 14 May 1998 19:26:11 -0400
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re: 9.716, Disc: Recent Change in English

3)
Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 10:35:55 -0400
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>

4)
Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 11:30:19 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Disc: Recent changes in English

5)
Date:  Sat, 16 May 1998 12:14:46 -0800
From:  Linda Merlo <lmerlo at oclc.k12.ca.us>
Subject:  Recent Changes: articles

Date:  Thu, 14 May 1998 20:57:24 +0200
From:  Ralf Vollmann <Ralf.Vollmann at kfunigraz.ac.at>

while neither having noticed nor having seemed to remark any changes in
english, i have to participate in this discussion, and since there is
some emotion in it, please let me be emotional on the topic -- it's a
discussion, isn't it?:

what I find most striking in this discussion is the fact how many
linguists still argue in terms of norm and prescriptive patterns. that
prescriptive patterns usually diverge from the language use seems quite
obvious to me, this topic is the basis of the everyday work of a
sociolinguist, if i remember correctly. one could look at the linguistic
differences between sociolects or at the attitudes linguist list readers
have towards these sociolectal features. it has nothing to do with
language change, however.
on the other hand, analyses of why american girlies, oregoners or
"venerable brits" have an identifiable sociolect would be very
interesting. the same, whether PL-SG dissonances between noun and verb
point to transnumeral use, or whether in an area there is another aspect
system than the prescribed one, etc..

but i deny the possibility to observe language change "online" / "as
observers", and i think an analysis of the situation justifies my
viewpoint:

1. prescriptive grammar has a strong influence on a society where
everybody has to attend school. one might see e.g. in the ongoing german
orthographic reform, that under such circumstances, language change
phenomena are not considered as they are in the prescriptive rule
patchwork of the orthography, but one set of prescriptions is simply
replaced by another one, and whether it is accepted or not, is not
decided on the basis of language change phenomena, but on the basis of
social power.

2. sociolectal variants can become language change features under
identifiable sociological circumstances; e.g. when an ingroup defines
itself through a linguistic feature and an outgroup individual wants to
become an ingroup member, then exactly there is a change in the
linguistic attitude of this person. if a feature is not redefined for a
longer period of time, then it may loose its socially marked status and
become a regular feature in this idiom. As long as the ingroup still
exists as such, it will desperately look for another feature.
As the euramerican culture is a patriarchat, i would thus assume that
although a girl that wants to be a girlie and therefore adopts a speech
style identifiable as an ingroup feature of the girlie subculture, she
will succeed in being identified as a girlie, but she will not introduce
language change into english, because she lacks the power of definition
over the whole culture. in this case it is a form of self-stigmatisation
as a member of the girlie ingroup for herself and a group-defining
feature on the border of the group, and an identifying feature within.
if american academics, however, more and more often "commit the sin", as
it was said, to use a linguistic pattern formerly being a feature not
identified socially as a feature identifying upper class ingroup
members, it may perhaps become such a feature, if the individuals
committing the sin start to believe that it is only a little sin,
perhaps no sin at all. in this case, acceptability prepares the
structure for grammaticality, and we might propose to see a language
change happening.
most of the time, however, and not only -- between the lines -- in this
discussion, variants are used for stigmatisation, i.e. as negative
features, i.e. variants are defined as features of the outgroup --
whereas the ingroup as the norm not to be questioned has no features --
or it has the feature of not having a specific feature... similarly, the
so-called language change phenomena in question have been positively or
negatively evaluated by those observing them, i.e. these were cases of
the observation of sociolinguistic variation and not of language change.

best regards,

ralf vollmann, institute of linguistics, university of graz, merangasse
70, A-8010 graz, austria, +43/316/380-2419,
Ralf.Vollmann at kfunigraz.ac.at, ralf at kfs.oeaw.ac.at