9.732, Disc: Complex Morphemes

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 16 23:08:30 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-732. Sun May 17 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.732, Disc: Complex Morphemes

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 14 May 1998 16:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "Richard M. Alderson III" <alderson at netcom.com>
Subject:  Re: 9.714, Disc: Complex Morphemes

2)
Date:  Fri, 15 May 1998 15:51:04 +0200
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>

Date:  Thu, 14 May 1998 16:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "Richard M. Alderson III" <alderson at netcom.com>

Larry Trask writes:

>I note, by the way, that the American structuralist terms `empty
>morph' and `portmanteau morph' appear to adumbrate the usage of
>`morph' I am thinking of here, since each of these terms denotes a
>stretch of phonological material which is most emphatically not a
>single morpheme.

I must disagree with the characterization of a `portmanteau morph' as
"not a single morpheme".  My understanding of the term is rather a
single, not further analyzable, morph which bears more than a single
sememe.  The canonical example is of course the Latin verb ending
/o:/, which signals all of "1st sg. non- past active indicative", but
is certainly not analyzable into to smaller por- tions phonologically.

As for the original query, I think I'd refer to a `morpheme string',
which will make clear that more than one morph(eme) is involved
without detailing further analysis.  But that's just my opinion.

Rich Alderson