9.735, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 18 17:16:37 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-735. Mon May 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.735, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 17 May 98 22:20 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject:  9.733, Disc: Recent Change in English

2)
Date:  Mon, 18 May 1998 06:59:35 -0400
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re: 9.733, Disc: Recent Change in English

3)
Date:  Mon, 18 May 1998 09:45:54 -0500
From:  Nancy Stenson <stenson at maroon.tc.umn.edu>

4)
Date:  Mon, 18 May 1998 11:38:06 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Disc: Recent Change in English

5)
Date:   Mon, 18 May 1998 09:19:47 -1000
From:  Gerald B Mathias <mathias at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.716, Disc: Recent Change in English

Date:  Sun, 17 May 98 22:20 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)

[Re recent changes in English]

I came across this by accident, and haven't tested it too widely, but
it seems that the word "fun" used to be solely a noun (and it's only
listed as such in the EOD), but it is now becoming an adjective.

-This game is fun.   - How fun is it?

The second part is accepted only by younger speakers, or so it seems.

-Joel Hoffman
(joel at exc.com)