9.758, Disc: English Change

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 21 08:53:53 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-758. Thu May 21 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.758, Disc: English Change

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Julie Wilson <julie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 21 May 98 08:14 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject:  "Fun" adjective or noun

2)
Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 15:26:44 +0200
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>
Subject:  "The" and place names

3)
Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 09:34:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Jila Ghomeshi <c2712 at er.uqam.ca>
Subject:  Re: Emphatic "so"

Date:  Thu, 21 May 98 08:14 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)

>Joel Hoffman writes:

><I came across this by accident, and haven't tested it too widely, but
>it seems that the word "fun" used to be solely a noun (and it's only
>listed as such in the EOD), but it is now becoming an adjective.>

Many people have pointed out this construction to me.  But in addition
to adjecties, nouns can appear before other nouns in English, as for
example:

	a stone house
	a diamond ring
	a fun game

The difference is that nouns don't have comparatives:

	* a more stone house
	* a more diamong ring
	% a more fun game

-Joel Hoffman