9.769, Disc: Time Depth

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 21 21:45:54 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-769. Thu May 21 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.769, Disc: Time Depth

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 11:14:55 -0400
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>
Subject:  Re: 9.762, Disc: Time Depth

2)
Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 17:20:36 +0100 (BST)
From:  "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

3)
Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 19:25:40 +0200
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE>

Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 11:14:55 -0400
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>

I would like to weigh in on the time depth by proposing an analysis
which is not dependent on any particular method but which follows from
more general mathematical and scientific principles.

First, let me say that I reject outright any a priori time limit on
reconstruction, but assert that for any given situation there is some
limit beyond which reconstruction ceases to be meaningful.

My reasoning is thus:

Let p be the propability that any given element in a particular
reconstruction is a representation of an actual historical state.
(For the sake of simplicity, I will assume that each such "element" is
independent of all others in the languge).

For a living language, p would be a function of the certainty of our
linguistic analysis of it.  Given the divergences of opinion regarding
the structure of LIVING languages, it is reasonable to assert that p <
1 even for them.  So ignoring other sources of error, the p for a
given reconstruction will be the product of the p for all the
"parents" of the reconstruction.  Eg. let us say that we did not have
any extant record of Late Vulgar Latin (or proto-Romance if you will)
and we had French, Spanish and Italian, each with a generous p of
0.99.  The absolute BEST possible p for proto-Romance in this case
would be 0.99x0.99x0.99=0.97.  In practice not only would the first
generation values for p be lower, but I suspect there would be a
"degradation factor" which would enter into it as well.

One can see that if one then took this proto-Romance and using say
proto-Germanic, similarily obtained tried to find a posited
proto-Western European, the p would degrade even further.  It wouldn't
take to too many generations to degrade the p of the reconstruction to
p=0.5, i.e. where any given feature reconstructed had a equal chance
of representing the historical situation or of being pure fiction.

Given that no such result is even VERIFIABLE, barring time travel or
the discovery of ancient writings, it is pretty clear that at some
time depth a reconstruction becomes purely an academic exercise with
little hope of representing historical truth.

- ---
Marc Hamann