9.786, Sum: Inuktitut Spatial Terms

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 26 17:03:07 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-786. Tue May 26 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.786, Sum: Inuktitut Spatial Terms

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:   Tue, 26 May 1998 11:58:27 -0300 (ADT)
From:  Hilary Young <ah641 at chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject:  Inuktitut spatial terms

Date:   Tue, 26 May 1998 11:58:27 -0300 (ADT)
From:  Hilary Young <ah641 at chebucto.ns.ca>

A few weeks ago I posted a query to list regarding Inuktitut spatial
terms.  I have since received many responses.  Below is the original
query followed by a list of recommended references.  Thanks again to all
who took the time to respond.

I was hoping someone out there could help me
with my research.  I'm beginning a project on Inuktitut spatial terms and
am looking for any resources that might be useful.  In particular, I'll
be exploring the 'in front of'/'behind' relation in a Cognitive Grammar
framework. >

>I have Spalding's Inuktitut grammar, Fortescue's West Greenlandic grammar,
>Denny's article on spatial deixis, and I know of Cornillac's 'Systematiqye
>des contructions lexicales en inuktitut', Paillet's 'Deixis et
>representation de l'espace en Inuktitut' and Lowe's 'De l'espace au temps
>en Inuktitut'.
>
>If anyone knows of other resources on spatial terms in eastern arctic
>languages (or related), I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Suggested references include the following:

Allen, Shanley.  1996.  Aspects of Argument Structure Alternation in
	Inuktitut.  Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Bergsland's West Greenlandic Dictionary

Bravo, Michael T.  1996.  "The Accuracy of Ethnoscience: A Study of Inuit
	Cartography and Cross-Cultural Commensurability."  In Manchester
	Papers in Social Anthropology, 2, 36 pp.

Dorais, Louis-Jacques.  1996.  La parole inuit.  Ed. Peeters

Fortescue, Michael.  article on space in Greenlandic in: Man and Society
	Series.

Fortescue, Jacobson and Kaplan. 1994. Comparative Eskimo Dictionary.
	Alaska Native Language Centre.

Fuchs, Anna. 1993.  Remarks on Deixis.  Heidelberg: Julius Groos Verlag.

Jacobson, Steven. 1984.  "Semantics and Morphology of Demonstratives in
	Central Yup'ik Eskimo."  In Etudes Inuit Studies, Vol 8, suppl.

Jacobson, Steven.  1995.  Central Alaskan Yup'ik Textbook.

Mallon, Mick. 1993.  Introductory Inuktitut.  Vols 1, 2.  Ittukuluuk
	Language Programs.  Victoria.

Menovschikov. 1976. "On Treatments of Spatial Expressions in Aleut." in
	Papers on Eskimo and Aleut Linguistics.  Chicago:  Chicago Linguistic
	Society.

Nowak, Elke.  Transforming the Images - Ergativity and Transitivity in
	Inuktitut.

deReuse, William Joseph.  Siberian Yupik Eskimo: The Language and its
	Contacts with Chukchi.

Schlegloff, Emmanuel. 1972.  "Notes on a Conversational Practice:
	Formulating Place."  In David Sudnow (ed.) Studies in Social
	Interaction.  New York: Free Press.

Schult-Lorentzen.  Dictionary and Grammar.

Senft, G. 1997.  Referring to Space.  Oxford: Oxford U. Press

Hilary Young
Rice University