9.788, Qs: "promise", Hungarian Socioling, Dialectology

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 26 17:40:53 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-788. Tue May 26 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.788, Qs: "promise", Hungarian Socioling, Dialectology

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 22 May 1998 16:52:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  'Promise' and Underdetermined Grammars

2)
Date:  Tue, 26 May 1998 11:25:59 +0100
From:  Davide <daguazzo at tin.it>
Subject:  Hungarian Sociolinguistics

3)
Date:  Tue, 26 May 1998 13:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  History of Dialectology (Population Biology, etc.)

Date:  Fri, 22 May 1998 16:52:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

If (and it is a big 'if') languages other than English
(but otherwise very similar to it) do not exhibit such
variation as does English in terms of whether sentences like

John promised Sue to hire Bill

are OK, then the variation in English itself is
unlikely to be due to underdetermination of
the grammar by the primary data, as suggested
by Georgia Green.  In fact, I don't think I
know of any clear case of variation due to
underdetermination even though this is often
posited (first I think by Zelig Harris).

Are there any clear cases that anybody knows
about?

Alexis