9.797, Disc: Recent Change in English

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 27 23:34:53 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-797. Thu May 28 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.797, Disc: Recent Change in English

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 27 May 1998 20:30:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  Re: 9.795, Disc: Recent change in English

2)
Date:  Wed, 27 May 1998 17:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>
Subject:  Disc: Recent change in English

Date:  Wed, 27 May 1998 20:30:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

I am an idiot not to have noticed that.  'Fun game' seems to behave
like 'super game' in this regard and surely no one will take 'super'
to be a noun (except in the irrelevant NYese sense of 'janitor').
Indeed, we could construct an accentual minimal pair:

'super game' meaning 'great game' is not pronounced the same as

'super game' meaning 'game in which one pretends to be a NY janitor'.

There is also perhaps the conjunction test. We can say 'a card or
checkers game' but not 'a card or fun game'.  But here I am concerned
about the influence of semantics/pragmatics.

Alexis MR