9.1537, Disc: German Spelling Reform

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 3 11:14:38 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1537. Tue Nov 3 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1537, Disc: German Spelling Reform

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:48:09 +0100
From:  Ralf <Ralf.Vollmann at kfunigraz.ac.at>
Subject:  Re: 9.1520, Disc: German Spelling Reform

2)
Date:  Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:10:31 GMT
From:  "A.F. GUPTA" <engafg at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>
Subject:  Re: 9.1528, Disc: German Spelling Reform

3)
Date:  Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:04:05 -0600
From:  Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu>

4)
Date:  Mon, 2 Nov 1998 19:10:39 GMT
From:  "A.F. GUPTA" <engafg at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>
Subject:  Re: 9.1518, Disc: German Spelling Reform

Date:  Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:48:09 +0100
From:  Ralf <Ralf.Vollmann at kfunigraz.ac.at>

Betreff: 9.1520, Disc: German Spelling Reform

Mr. Ryan,

after having read one of the postings on the spelling reform, I was
inspired to think about the sociological aspects of a normative
orthographic consciousness in readers and linguistic normativity as
such. There are other aspects of orthography as well which I left out
completely, thus my statement was not able to cover all the pros and
cons, and I regret having posted on this topic anyway -- on which I have
never come to a consistent personal opinion...; especially that I
started my argumentation with the term "right-wing" (which I quoted from
an earlier posting!); and unfortunately I did not manage to argue
without emotions (which does not, however, distinguish my posting from
some other postings).

As a father of children in the school age, orthography is at the moment
rather a practical problem to me -- John Rennison already mentioned this
strange teacher behavior of teaching kids "phonetic" differences which
are merely orthographic. And I had in mind how persons not able to spell
correctly (for whatever reason) are ridiculised because of that. This is
similar to discrimination on the basis of dialect or on the basis of
speaking a minority language. When I was young, our teacher wrote
dialect words from our essays on the chalkboard and openly ridiculised
the writer; that's the way we learned orthography and standard
language... and this is the aspect of orthography about which I was
thinking in the first place. This makes the topic emotional, probably.

- ------

Coming back to the orthographic reform of German, I would like to sum up
my view that I cannot see real advantages of the actual reform EXCEPT
PERHAPS for the liberalisation of some rules (there are pros and cons).
And I have the impression that linguistic considerations aren't the
basis of most of the proposed changes; thus I would prefer not to have a
reform at all.

Ralf Vollmann <Ralf.Vollmann at kfunigraz.ac.at>