9.1575, Qs: Subject/topic, Cdrom, Semantics, Semilingualism

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 9 23:47:54 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1575. Mon Nov 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1575, Qs: Subject/topic, Cdrom, Semantics, Semilingualism

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:03:26 -0500 (EST)
From:  "K. K. Grohmann" <grohmann at wam.umd.edu>
Subject:  Subject/topic-prominent languages

2)
Date:  Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:20:45 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Treffers-Daller, Jeanine" <Jeanine.Treffers-Daller at uwe.ac.uk>
Subject:  CD rom Linguistics

3)
Date:  Mon, 09 Nov 1998 09:52:21 -0500
From:  Nick Bibis <nbibis at chass.utoronto.ca>
Subject:  Semantic features

4)
Date:  Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:59:58 +0400
From:  "Debra M. Hardison" <dmhardison at ucdavis.edu>
Subject:  "Semilingualism"

Date:  Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:03:26 -0500 (EST)
From:  "K. K. Grohmann" <grohmann at wam.umd.edu>

I'm wondering about Keenan's and Li & Thompson's categorization of
subject-prominent languages, topic-prominent languages, mix of both
languages and lack of both languages (as L&T propose in their paper in
C. Li (ed.), 1996, _Subject and Topic_, New York: Academic Press,
457-489.).

First of all, what is the current status of this distinction (across
theories)? Is is--at least roughly--correct, or is it completely flawed
due to apparent misanalyses of subjects as topics in certain languages?

My second question concerns L&T's categorization of languages. So on p.
460 they give us the following picture:

(i) subject-prominent languages: Indo-European, Niger-Congo, Finno-Ugric,
      Semitic, Dyirbal, Indonesian, Malagasy...
(ii)  topic-prominent languages: Chinese, Lahu, Lisu...
(iii) both-prominent languages: Japanese, Korean...
(iv)  neither-prominent languages: Tagalog, Illocano...

If the two-way (or even four-way) distinction holds, or has some merit,
has anything changed with respect to the status of the languages cited,
i.e. have people continued to work on this topic and either found that
some language(s) better be placed in a different rubric or added new
languages to the list(s)?

I would appreciate any replies, and I get enough responses I will
post a summary.

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Kleanthes

	@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@