9.1580, Support: CP psycholinguistics, Neurophonetics

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 10 16:12:38 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1580. Tue Nov 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1580, Support: CP psycholinguistics, Neurophonetics

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 09 Nov 1998 15:35:49 -0600
From:  "Shelia M. Kennison" <skennison at oupsy.psy.uoknor.edu>
Subject:  Ph.D. Program in Cognitive Psychology

2)
Date:  Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:17:17
From:  Jack Gandour <gandour at purdue.edu>
Subject:  Post-doc traineeship in Neurophonetics

Date:  Mon, 09 Nov 1998 15:35:49 -0600
From:  "Shelia M. Kennison" <skennison at oupsy.psy.uoknor.edu>

Ph.D. program in Cognitive Psychology at the University of Oklahoma
  Please forward to interested undergraduates in your department.

Each year, the Department of Psychology at the University of Oklahoma
accepts Ph.D. candidates in Experimental Psychology.  Cognitive
Psychology is one of three experimental areas of emphasis.
Social/Personality and quantitative are the other two. In Cognitive, we
have funded all Ph.D. students as teaching or research assistants.
Full-year stipends range from $11,000 to $17,000 with waiver of all
out-of-state tuition and 4 hours of instate tuition. We have excellent
research facilities, including two multi-room computer-controlled
facilities (Human-Cognition Lab and Distance Usability Assessment Lab),
an eye-movement lab, and a high-resolution perception lab. Graduate
students and faculty maintain research offices in these facilities and
share a laboratory with 18 cubicles, each containing a networked Pentium
computer. In addition, the cognitive group has contacts with the Federal
Aviation Administration's Civil Aeromedical Institute in Oklahoma City
and with OU's Human-Technology Interaction Center.  OU's cognitive labs
usually attract between $200,000 and $500,000 dollars in external
funding each year.

Our four faculty (Dr. Frank Durso, Dr. Scott Gronlund, Dr. Shelia M.
Kennison, and Dr. Carmela Gottesman) study different areas of cognition
(attention, perception, memory, knowledge, psycholinguistics), we all
share the philosophy that graduate education is best achieved by
admitting only talented students (current students average GRE is about
1200; 576V; 620Q) who are excited about doing research (current students
all had research experience as undergraduates).  We believe that
training is best achieved by a combination of formal courses and
research conducted with a faculty member.  Thus, we strongly believe
that graduate students are junior colleagues who enter the program as an
apprentice and leave as a professional.

This year we have three students graduating (we have always placed 100%
of our students).  These three students have published 22 papers,
including a first-authored paper in Psychological Review, given dozens
of professional presentations, completed a pre-doctoral internship at
the FAA Technical Center in Atlantic City, and won the Hillel Einhorn
New Investigator Award.  We believe good graduate education is measured
by how much the graduate student accomplishes.  A strong resume is not
limited to our more senior students. On average, the cognitive students
currently on board have 3.7 publications; even cognitive students who
have been at OU for as little as a year have at least one publication

Each of the four Cognitive faculty is interested in sponsoring students
for the 1999-2000 academic year. For more information, please check out
our web pages at http://www.ou.edu/cas/psychology/ or contact us
(telephone: 405-325-4511 and email: fdurso at ou.edu, sgronlund at ou.edu,
skennison at ou.edu, and cvgottesman at ou.edu).