9.1599, Sum: Morphosyntactic Features

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 13 10:31:30 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1599. Fri Nov 13 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1599, Sum: Morphosyntactic Features

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org
Subject:  Morphosyntactic Features

Date:  Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:59 -0500 (EST)
From:  Mike_Maxwell at sil.org

In LINGUIST List 9.1405, I asked whether anyone knew of work on universals of
morphosyntactic features, parallel to the familiar sorts of (hopefully)
universal phonetic features such as [voiced], [coronal] etc.

That was back in October, and I regret to say that I've received only one reply
(plus a query or two along the same line).  The reply comes from Phoevos
Panagiotidis (epanag at essex.ac.uk), who I understand is working on his PhD in the
Department of Language and Linguistics at the University of Essex.  He kindly
shared a portion of his thesis having to do with person features, in which he
argues for the features [+/- speaker] and [+/- hearer], and cites as references

Banveniste (1966), Ingram (in J.H. Greenberg's "Universals of human language
v.3"), and Halle (1997) in MITWPL.

This and some work by Noyer at MIT (under Halle) on number features, plus the
older work on part of speech (category) features by Chomsky and by Jackendoff,
is all I know of.  I find it surprising that there aren't more results on
morphosyntactic feature universals, but I guess that means it's a wide open
field for graduate students!

BTW, I had earlier posted a similar query to the HPSG mailing list, but got no