9.1610, Qs: Italian dialect, Tone, Speech, Ling/Edu article

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 14 03:32:10 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1610. Sat Nov 14 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1610, Qs: Italian dialect, Tone, Speech, Ling/Edu article

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:50:47 +0200
From:  "Giampaolo Poletto" <Dylandog at btk.jpte.hu>
Subject:  Use of subjunctive in Italian dialects

2)
Date:  Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:19:25 -0500 (EST)
From:  Vincent DeCaen <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>
Subject:  Tone downstep

3)
Date:  Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:37:34 -0500
From:  ParkerJ at ipfw.edu
Subject:  Sister speech communities

4)
Date:  Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:13:28 -0600
From:  "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <geoffn at siu.edu>
Subject:  Linguistics and Education article

Date:  Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:50:47 +0200
From:  "Giampaolo Poletto" <Dylandog at btk.jpte.hu>

My name is Giampaolo Poletto, and I am collecting material to write a
short article on the use of subjunctive in Italian dialects, in
comparison with the use of it in Italian.

As far as I could observe, native dialect speakers tend to have and
use the subjunctive tenses regularly.  Tenses are morphologically
different, according to the areas and due to the variations and
changes typical of a definite area.  They can inform us with the
original model influencing or directly giving that specific form; that
original model usually ranges among the options sorted out and
displayed in the group of languages deriving from Latin.  Whatever
their form may be, they can always be recognized as belonging to the
subjunctive mode and are used according to grammar rules valid for the
Italian language as well.  They thus express doubt, wish, uncertainty
and so on, the way they do according to the Italian grammar set of
rules and because of the need to provide a distinctive form
corresponding to the expression of such feelings, attitudes, emotions,
etc.

The difference is that a native dialect speaker makes a regular
use of them, whereas an Italian native - rather than a native Italian
speaker - has many more difficulties both in using the subjunctive and
in using it correctly.  A native dialect speaker tends to interiorize
the rule and make the correspondent and correct use of it far more
than an Italian native.  The latter may not recognize the Italian
language as their own, or may not recognize the Italian language as
their own the way the former does with the dialect.  The former and
the latter in many cases are the same person, born in Italy and grown
up in an area where the presence of dialect is somehow relevant.  Even
though he - or she - does not speak or understand dialect, when it
comes to use the subjunctive tenses in the Italian language he or she
can easily resort to the indicative tenses.  He or she would not do
that and stick to the rule, if either they were native dialect
speakers or were living or were in constant contact with some.  They
do not need to study or learn `dialect` grammar, and they do not
either.  They need to study and learn Italian grammar, and they do, on
the contrary.

This is the view I would like to expose.  I am looking for witnesses,
examples, texts and comments agreeing or disagreeing, or simply
different.  Any contribution is welcomed and I will report them,
together with my conclusions, through the list.

Please, write to:
<jooeva at babits.jpte.hu>
<dylandog at btk.jpte.hu>

Giampaolo Poletto