9.1634, Disc: Morphosyntax

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 18 10:11:21 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1634. Wed Nov 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1634, Disc: Morphosyntax

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:44:30 -0800
From:  Debus/Carrasquel <mdebus at ix.netcom.com>
Subject:  Re: 9.1631, Disc: Morphosyntax

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:13:37 -0500
From:  "Robert Beard" <rbeard at bucknell.edu>

3)
Date:  18 Nov 98 08:25:42 +0100
From:  "mmoss" <mmoss at dab.microsun.com.pl>

Date:  Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:44:30 -0800
From:  Debus/Carrasquel <mdebus at ix.netcom.com>

I just want to answer to Charles T. Scott's question about where the
terms 'masculine', 'femenine', and 'neuter' might have come from. Just
like a lot of the basic grammatical terms such as 'verb', adjective', and
the like come from classical grammarians, our basic categorization of
nouns into the three classes above must have been devised by Classical
Latin and Classical Greek grammarians.
	The fact that they grouped nouns according to 'femenine',
'masculine' or neither, i.e. 'neuter', has to do with the anthropomorphic
nature of language. Remember that language's primary function is to
impose order, i.e. to categorize the seemingly chaotic and non-discrete
world that our senses perceive, having us humans as the axis around which
that chaotic world revolves.
	Thus, in Classical Latin's times, the plethora of nouns that
happen to end with -a such as 'sapientia' meaning 'wisdom' and 'porta'
meaning 'door' were explained as nouns which follow the adjective
agreement pattern or declension of nouns of femenine entities such as
'femina' meaning 'woman', and 'amica' meaning 'female friend.' Likewise
some nouns ending in -us such as 'populus' meaning 'nation/people' and
'oculus' meaning 'eye' were explained as following the adjective
agreement pattern of nouns for masculine entities such as 'amicus'
meaning 'male friend'. Yet some other nouns such as 'tempus' meaning
'time' and 'bellum' meaning 'war' were observed to follow the declension
of neither masculine nor femenine entities, thus this third category of
nouns was labeled 'neuter' in juxtaposition with the anthropomorhic
distinction of 'femenine/masculine.' Jose Carrasquel.