9.1643, Sum: Intro Syntax Textbook

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 19 22:45:08 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1643. Thu Nov 19 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1643, Sum: Intro Syntax Textbook

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:10:23 -0800 (PST)
From:  Randy Sharp <randy at cs.ubc.ca>
Subject:  Introductory Syntax Textbook: Response

Date:  Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:10:23 -0800 (PST)
From:  Randy Sharp <randy at cs.ubc.ca>

Dear Linguists,

I received about 18 replies. I am grateful to all those who responded.
Thank you.  The summary, in alphabetical order, is listed below. I list
the number of times the book was mentioned in a positive tone, either
as a suggestion or as a recommendation. Just to let you know the
outcome, we have chosen to use the text by Aarts, at least for the
upcoming semester.

Randy Sharp

Aarts, Bas (1997) "English Syntax and Argumentation", Macmillan.
Mentioned: 2

Burton-Roberts "Analysing Sentences".
Mentioned: 1

Cowper, Elizabeth A. (1992) "A Concise Introduction to Syntactic Theory:
   The Government-Binding Approach", University of Chicago Press.
Mentioned: 3

Haegeman, Liliane (1991) "An Introduction to GB", Blackwell.
Mentioned: 1

Jacobs, Roderick (1995) "English Syntax: A Grammar for English Language
   Professionals", Oxford University Press.
Mentioned: 2

Lasnik, H. and Uriagereka, J. (1988) "A Course in GB Syntax", MIT Press.
Mentioned: 1

O'Grady, William (1997) "The syntax files: An introductory survey of basic
   syntactic concepts and phenomena" (unpublished)
Mentioned: 1   (not publicly available at this time)

Radford, Andrew (1981) "Transformational Syntax", Cambridge University Press.
Mentioned: 1
[Note: it is not certain whether the respondent actually meant
"Transformational Grammar", but then, maybe some people still do use this
text.]

Radford, Andrew (1988) "Transformational Grammar", Cambridge University
   Press.
Mentioned: 4

Radford, Andrew (1997) "Syntactic Theory and the Structure of English",
   Cambridge University Press.
Mentioned: 2

Radford, Andrew (1997) "Syntax: A minimalist introduction", Cambridge
   University Press.
Mentioned: 1

Tallerman, Maggie (1998) "Understanding syntax", Arnold.
Mentioned: 2

Thomason, Linda "Beginner's Syntax".
Mentioned: 1