9.1649, FYI: Pashto Dictionary, European Language Resource

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 20 00:06:09 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1649. Fri Nov 20 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1649, FYI: Pashto Dictionary, European Language Resource

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:17:53 EST
From:  Taylor Roberts <troberts at MIT.EDU>
Subject:  Pashto word list now on the web

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Nov 98 20:35:36 GMT
From:  "Dr Tony McEnery" <mcenery at comp.lancs.ac.uk>
Subject:  Recompiling the European Languages Resource Catalogue

Date:  Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:17:53 EST
From:  Taylor Roberts <troberts at MIT.EDU>

I am delighted to announce that a Pashto word list has been made
available on the web.

Pashto is spoken in parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan by over 10
million people, and several of its apparently unusual features have
recently been studied by linguists, including its clitics, prosody,
relatively free word order, relative clauses, and reversed-sonority
consonant clusters.

Drawn from the glossary of Herbert Penzl's _A Grammar of Pashto: A
Descriptive Study of the Dialect of Kandahar, Afghanistan_
(Washington: American Council of Learned Societies, 1955,
pp. 154-165), the lexicon contains nearly 1,400 words.  Because the
glossary in Penzl's grammar is Pashto-English only, the computerized
format permits queries in the other direction (English-Pashto), and
also facilitates searches for sub-parts of definitions, information
about parts-of-speech, and sound sequences.

Penzl's glossary appears on the web by the kind courtesy of the
American Council of Learned Societies, which otherwise continues to
reserve all rights to this material.

The word list is available in two formats: it may be viewed online, or
downloaded as a Microsoft Access 2.0 database (the latter with a
pop-screen giving a key to the orthography).  Both formats are
available at the following URL:

	http://web.mit.edu/troberts/www/pashto/lexicon.html

Please feel free to visit the site and send me your comments.  Enjoy!

Taylor Roberts

troberts at mit.edu
http://web.mit.edu/troberts/www/