9.1655, Qs: Semantic dotting, Articulatory setting

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 21 13:11:04 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1655. Sat Nov 21 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1655, Qs: Semantic dotting, Articulatory setting

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:46:26 +0500
From:  "Victor Pekar" <vpekar at pool.ufanet.ru>
Subject:  Distribution of semantic dotting

2)
Date:  Sat, 21 Nov 1998 10:19:12 +0900
From:  Noel Hunt <noel at jpmorgan.com>
Subject:  Articulatory setting

Date:  Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:46:26 +0500
From:  "Victor Pekar" <vpekar at pool.ufanet.ru>

Dear Linguists,

In his article on spatial language (Talmy L. How Language Structures
Space.  In H. Pick and L. Acredolo, eds., Spatial Orientation: Theory,
Research, and Application. New York: Plenum. 1983) L.Talmy presents a
theory according to which "a language must provide a sufficiently
distributed and dense (but not too dense) dotting of semantic
"n"-dimensional space -- over individual semantic domains as well as
over the whole." (p.279). Berlin&Kay's study of color terms seems to
confirm this theory for the domain of color terms. I wonder if there
are other studies which would explicitly confirm presence of this
regularity in other specific lexical fields.

If there is enough interest for the topic I'll post a summary.

Thank you.

Victor Pekar