9.1661, Qs: Pashto, Speech acts, Presidential speeches

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Nov 22 23:59:52 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1661. Sun Nov 22 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1661, Qs: Pashto, Speech acts, Presidential speeches

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:   Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:10:27 -1000
From:  "Roderick A. Jacobs" <rjacobs at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  European Language Resource

2)
Date:  Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:38:21 +0100
From:  fenyvesi at lit.u-szeged.hu (Anna Fenyvesi)
Subject:  the speech act of blurting

3)
Date:  Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:15:48 +0800
From:  Roy/Lilian Tan <magnumopus at pacific.net.sg>
Subject:  Clinton's "Apology" Speech

Date:   Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:10:27 -1000
From:  "Roderick A. Jacobs" <rjacobs at hawaii.edu>

It's good to hear of the new Pashto lexicon (LINGUIST 9.1649) from
Taylor Roberts!  There has been relatively little on Pashto in English
since the sixties, except for a couple of interesting works on clitics
and on ergativity by Habibbullah Tegey. But now, in addition to the
new lexicon, there is a very useful pedagogical grammar of the
language by Tegey and B. Robson, "A Reference Grammar of Pashto"
published in 1996 by the Center for Applied Linguistics. Moreover, a
student of mine at the University of Hawai'i, Farooq Babrakzai, has
just completed a 280pp. draft of a dissertation "Studies in Pashto
Syntax." Is anyone aware of other work in a European language (or
Japanese) on Pashto?  language?

Roderick A. Jacobs                            Tel:808/956-2800
Professor of Linguistics & ESL                Fax: 808/956-2802
Chair, Dept. of English as a Second Language
University of Hawai'i at Manoa
1890 East-West Road                           PhD program in Second
Honolulu, HI 96822, USA                       Language Acquisition

Personal Web page: http://www2.hawaii.edu/ling/fac_pages/jacobs.html
Visit our department Web site at http://www.lll.hawaii.edu/esl