9.1462, Qs: Animacy & Definiteness, Accents, Deixis

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 20 11:11:22 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1462. Tue Oct 20 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1462, Qs: Animacy & Definiteness, Accents, Deixis

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 17 Oct 1998 18:37:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  Animacy and Definiteness

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:48:49 +0900
From:  Joseph Tomei <jtomei at kumagaku.ac.jp>
Subject:  Movies with convincing accents

3)
Date:  Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:18:05 +0100
From:  antje wendtland <awendtl at gwdg.de>
Subject:  Switch in deixis

Date:  Sat, 17 Oct 1998 18:37:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Andrew Carnie <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Dear Collegues,

I'm looking into the relatedness of definiteness and animacy. Does anyone
out there know of a language that overtly marks both (ie has both
animacy and definiteness markers) or a language that has both definite
determiners yet has a phenomenon that obeys an animacy hierarchy?

Many thanks,

Andrew