9.1483, Qs: Vowels, American broadcast dialect, Schwa

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 23 00:09:07 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1483. Fri Oct 23 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1483, Qs: Vowels, American broadcast dialect, Schwa

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:06:32 -0400
From:  MARC PICARD <picard at vax2.concordia.ca>
Subject:  Stress and long vowels

2)
Date:  Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:12:34 EDT
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject:  American broadcast dialect

3)
Date:  Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:21:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:  Joo-Kyeong Lee <j-lee at boas.lang.uiuc.edu>
Subject:  Vowel reduction to schwa

Date:  Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:06:32 -0400
From:  MARC PICARD <picard at vax2.concordia.ca>

Impressionistically, it would seem that if a language has both stress
and long vowels, then at least some of these long vowels are bound to
occur in stressed syllables. Does anybody know of any references where
this has been stated as a universal constraint or a principle of some
sort or even just a tendency?

Marc Picard