9.1500, Jobs: Computational Ling

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 27 17:11:56 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1500. Tue Oct 27 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1500, Jobs: Computational Ling

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:42:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  Nellie Cho <ncho at cs.columbia.edu>
Subject:  Computational Ling; Tenure track at Columbia

2)
Date:  Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:48:42 -0500 (EST)
From:  Nellie Cho <ncho at cs.columbia.edu>
Subject:  Computational Ling; Lecturer at Columbia

Date:  Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:42:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  Nellie Cho <ncho at cs.columbia.edu>

                               COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY
                        DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

     The  Department  of Computer Science anticipates at least one tenure track
opening this year. This is part of the planned expansion of  faculty  positions
over  the  next  several  years, based in part on a major gift to the School of
Engineering and Applied Science from the Fu Foundation.  We invite applications
from exceptional candidates at all ranks with particular focus on the following
areas:  information systems (such as information retrieval,  database  systems,
and data mining), computer engineering (such as computer architecture, computer
system design and VLSI CAD), and human-computer interaction.

     Our  department  of  twenty  tenure-track  faculty  and  three   lecturers
emphasizes  excellence  in  research  and teaching and attracts excellent Ph.D.
students, virtually all  of  whom  are  fully  supported  by  research  grants.
Departmental  facilities  include  Sun  and  SGI  servers, numerous Sun and SGI
workstations, PCs and Macs, plus  state-of-the-art  experimental  systems.  The
department  is  in the third year of an NSF CISE research infrastructure grant.
We have close ties to the nearby research laboratories of AT&T, Bell  Atlantic,
Bellcore,  IBM,  Lucent, Matsushita, NEC, Siemens, and other leading industrial
companies, including the start-up companies of Manhattan's  Silicon  Alley  and
the financial companies of Wall Street.

     Columbia  University  is  one  of the leading research universities in the
United States, and New York  City  is  one  of  the  cultural,  financial,  and
communications  capitals of the world. Columbia's enclosed campus of tree-lined
walks is located in Morningside Heights on the Upper West Side.  The department
has  its  own  building  plus  additional  space and facilities in the adjacent
interdisciplinary  Schapiro  Center  for  Engineering  and   Physical   Science
Research. University subsidized housing and parking are available.

     Candidates for tenure track assistant professor should exhibit exceptional
research promise, while those seeking a more senior  position  should  have  an
outstanding  record  of research achievement.  Interest and ability in teaching
undergraduates and graduates is necessary.  Please submit a summary of research
interests  (prominently stating the closest area among those listed above), CV,
email address, and the names and email addresses of at least  three  references
to:
	Faculty  Search  Chairperson
	Department of Computer Science
	450 Computer Science Building
	Mail Code 0401
	Columbia University
	New York, New York 10027
	(recruiting at cs.columbia.edu).

A confirmation of receipt will be sent by email.

     Columbia  University  is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
We encourage applications from women and minorities.