9.1506, Qs: Cognition, Transcription, Applicatives

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 28 17:45:45 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1506. Wed Oct 28 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1506, Qs: Cognition, Transcription, Applicatives

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:20:51 GMT
From:  garyjaz at globaleyes.net
Subject:  Brains and theories of cognition

2)
Date:  Mon, 26 Oct 98 06:30:52 -0000
From:  Uri Horesh <urihores at post.tau.ac.il>
Subject:  Electronic Transcription Courses

3)
Date:  Mon, 26 Oct 98 15:20:13 -0500
From:  Heather Littlefield <HeatherL at bu.edu>
Subject:  Fulani/Pular Applicatives/Extensions

Date:  Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:20:51 GMT
From:  garyjaz at globaleyes.net

I am doing some research on the intersection of neuroscience and
second language acquisition.  I'v become interested in knowing why
anyone interested in cognition should pay attention to research in the
neurosciences.  Some reasons that I've run across include the
following:

a.)  Most of the knowledge we are discovering about the brain and
language comes from neuroimaging techniques.  To understand how these
techniques work it is necessary to have some understanding of the
smaller levels of the brain.

b.) These techniques have improved to the point where they can be
useful in the testing of the validity of theoretical claims.

c.) Learning anything like a second language involves changes in the
microanatomical structure of the brain.  Hence to understand learning
we need to look at the smaller levels of the brain.  A potentially
practical application of this pursuit is that it will lead to better
the design of better learning environments that are suited to our
computational abilities.

d.) Finally, a neuroscientific perspective can impose constraints on
the shape of a theory by requiring that it be neurally plausible.

I have a question about reason b.  Exactly how can a picture of a
brain test the validity of some theory?  Can someone give me an
example from any field?

Also, I have a question about reason d.  Can someone give me an
example of a theory of some aspect of cognition (like vision or
language, etc.)  that is neurally plausible and one that is not?

It seems to me that many of the authors I encounter assume that
knowledge of the brain is a good thing, and they don't develop reasons
why this is so.  Please email me if you would like a clarification
about something I've written.

gary jasdzewski
gary at siu.edu
http://omni.cc.purdue.edu/~garyjaz