9.1211, Qs: Scope, Dialect database, Statistics programs

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 2 13:48:25 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1211. Wed Sep 2 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1211, Qs: Scope, Dialect database, Statistics programs

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Associate Editors:  Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>
                    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:17:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Vincent DeCaen <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>
Subject:  negative scope?

2)
Date:  Wed, 02 Sep 1998 15:18:10 +0900
From:  Daniel Long <dlong at joho.osaka-shoin.ac.jp>
Subject:  dialect databases, computerized atlases

3)
Date:  Wed, 02 Sep 1998 16:02:58 +0200
From:  "Viola L'Hommedieu" <fs7y379 at public.uni-hamburg.de>
Subject:  F1 and F2

Date:  Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:17:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Vincent DeCaen <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>

discussions of scope and negation contrast two positions for the
negative, e.g, "it is possible not to breathe" vs. "it is not possible
to breathe." but they leave out "it is not possible not to breathe."

my question, is it possible to stack negatives with modal verbs, say,
in Italian: non deve andare, deve non andare, but also non deve non
andare? I'm assuming so, but it would be helpful to have this
confirmed. thanks.

Vincent DeCaen, Ph.D.		 	 	     <decaen at chass.utoronto.ca>
Faculty of Information Studies, University of Toronto

Hebrew Syntax Encoding Initiative
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca:8080/~decaen/hsei/intro.html
c/o Deparment of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
4 Bancroft Ave., 2d floor,  University of Toronto,  Toronto ON,  M5S 1A1