9.1265, Qs: Negative complementizers, Metaphor in Chinese

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 14 13:16:09 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1265. Mon Sep 14 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1265, Qs: Negative complementizers, Metaphor in Chinese

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Associate Editors:  Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>
                    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 13 Sep 1998 17:11:03 -0400
From:  Asya Pereltsvaig <aperel at po-box.mcgill.ca>
Subject:  Qs: negative complementizers

2)
Date:  Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:49:08 +0800
From:  "Susan Menke" <smenke at uninet.com.cn>
Subject:  Metaphor in Chinese language

Date:  Sun, 13 Sep 1998 17:11:03 -0400
From:  Asya Pereltsvaig <aperel at po-box.mcgill.ca>

Dear Linguists,
Does anyone know of languages that have negative complementizers? By
negative complementizers I mesan one of two things:
1) a complementizer that contains a negative element, like English
'unless' (= if not), 'lest' (=so that not)
or
2) a complementizer that is selected by an "inherently negative" verb,
like 'enik' in Basque (according to Laka's (1990) dissertation)
Any information is greatly appreciated. I will post a summary.

Asya Pereltsvaig
Department of Linguistics - McGill University
1001 Sherbrooke St. West
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 1G5, CANADA