9.1282, All: Wayne State U., New Moderator, New Editors

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 16 09:46:05 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1282. Wed Sep 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1282, All: Wayne State U., New Moderator, New Editors

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:27:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  Wayne State University, New Moderator, New Editor

Date:  Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:27:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at linguistlist.org>

Dear LINGUIST subscribers,

LINGUIST has good news this fall! We have moved one of our main sites
from Texas A&M to Wayne State University. That means LINGUIST is now a
joint operation between Eastern Michigan University and Wayne State
University (which is offering generous backing).  We would like to
give special thanks to those prominent linguists who wrote letters to
WSU expressing support for LINGUIST's role in the academic community,
thus helping make the move happen.

To signal our move to WSU, our pages now have a new look which you
have no doubt already noticed. The new pages were designed by Elaine
Halleck, one of our outgoing editors, who is leaving us to teach
graphic design.

We also happily report that our fund drive was successful, thanks to
the many donors whose names are listed at the end of this
message. Because of your support, we can welcome the following new
graduate student editors. We have asked each to write a paragraph of
self-introduction, which we append below:

Scott Fults, Eastern Michigan University

	I grew up in the Detroit area and graduated from
	the University of Michigan with a B.A. in English.
	Since then, I've been everything from a pipeliner to
	a car wash attendant to a salesman of physics toys to
	teachers.  After reading several linguistics texts and
	taking a few classes at Eastern, I decided to try my
	luck with grad school.  I love syntax and semantics,
	especially the scientific/ cognitive aspect of it all.
	My hobbies include cooking and playing guitar (I'm just
	beginning!) and I also volunteer tutor for a local literacy
	program.

Jody Huellmantel, Wayne State University

	I am currently a graduate student in the linguistics
	program at Wayne State university.  I've spent the last
	five years at the center for Creative Studies, studying
	Fine Arts in Detroit, Michigan.  My focus has been on
	sculpture and photography.  I am now concentrating my
	efforts on linguistics, and on the analysis of individual
	languages.

Karen Milligan, Wayne State University

	Trained as a dancer and a musician, I have been performing
	or teaching for most of my life.  My undergraduate degree
	is in theater and music, and for a short time, a long time
	ago, I danced professionally.  I always knew I would teach
	ballet, and opened my own school twenty years ago.  In 1990
	I went to the former Soviet Union as a guest of their Ministry
	of Culture to study their legendary teaching methods (a *very
	enlightening* experience!).  Last year, feeling burned out and
	needing a change, I announced plans to retire from teaching
	and began pursuit of a degree in my other passion -- linguistics.
	I didn't retire, but now my ballet students bring me their
	questions about language!

We are also very pleased to announce that Andrew Carnie will be
serving this year in a new role as Moderator.  Andrew has done such an
outstanding job as Review Editor that we wanted him to take an even
larger part in running the list.  Fortunately, we were able to
convince him; and he will be working on LINGUIST from the U. of
Arizona.

The LINGUIST crew is looking forward to a bright new academic year. We
value your continued participation in this forum, as we strive to
increase its value to you all.

Warm Regards,

The LINGUIST Crew

********************************
List of Contributors to LINGUIST

Mainstays ($100 or more):

    *Individuals*
Anonymous
Anonymous
Birgit Alber
Claudia Brugman
Thomas Cornell
Douglas Dee
Keith Denning
Alice Faber
Graeme Forbes
Vicki Fromkin
Sungshim Hong
James J. Jenkins
Kenji Kashino
Youngsuk Lee
Loraine K. Obler
Michael Patrick O'Connor
Monica Macaulay & Joe Salmons
Rebecca Larche Moreton
Marco M. Pinna
Linda Stump Rashidi
Paul A. Rowlett
Carlota S. Smith
Hiroaki Tanaka
Karl Teeter
Catherine Walter
Margaret E. Winters
Arnold M Zwicky

   *Institutions*

ADDISON WESLEY LONGMAN
JOHN BENJAMINS, INC.
BLACKWELL PUBLISHERS
CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS-USA
CASSELL PUBLISHERS
CSLI
EDINBURGH UP
EDWARD ARNOLD PUBLISHERS
LAWRENCE ERLBAUM ASSOCIATES
GARLAND PUBLISHING, INC.
HOLLAND ACADEMIC GRAPHICS (HAG)
IULC PUBLICATIONS
JOHN BENJAMINS PUBLISHING CO.
THE LANGUAGE ACADEMY
LINGUISTICS CLUB, U OF CONN
LINGUISTIC SOCIETY OF AMERICA
LONELY PLANET PUBLICATIONS
MICROSOFT CORPORATION
MIT PRESS (Books Division)
MIT WORKING PAPERS IN LINGUISTICS
MOUTON DE GRUYTER
OMNILEX INC
OXFORD UP
PACFIC LINGUISTICS
ROSENBERG & SELLIER
ROUTLEDGE
SUMMER INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTICS
UNIVERSITEIT UTRECHT
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, THE LINGUISTICS PROGRAM

Patrons ($50 - $99):

Barbara Abbott
ANTHROPOLOGICAL LINGUISTICS
Amalia Arvaniti
Leslie B Barratt
Stefano Bertolo
Belinda J. Bicknell
Garland D. Bills
E. Wayles Browne
Sharon Carlson
Irmengard Rauch & Gerald F. Carr
CASCADILLA PRESS
Wynn Chao & Kathleen Woon Man Ma
G. Tucker Childs
Bernard Comrie
Hortensia Curell
Mary E. Dalrymple
Karen Davis
William F. Dowling & Barbara L. Leighton
Laura J. Downing
F. Dubert
Daniel L. Everett
Julia Falk
FINNO-UGRIAN SOCIETY
Alice F. Freed
Kazuhiko Fukushima
LODZ UNIVERSITY, Dept.of English Language
N. Louanna Furbee
Nik Gisborne
David C. Gohre
Charles E. & Lyubomira P. Gribble
Pius ten Hacken
Barbara E. Olson-Herrarte & Dale D. Olson
Earl M. Herrick
Richard Hudson
Roderick A Jacobs
Sean Jensen