9.1286, Sum: Summary of 'I am hungry'

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 16 19:49:40 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1286. Wed Sep 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1286, Sum: Summary of 'I am hungry'

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Moderator & Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:31:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:  Sren Harder <sharder at ling.hum.aau.dk>
Subject:  Summary of 'I am hungry' (long!)

Date:  Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:31:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:  Sren Harder <sharder at ling.hum.aau.dk>

Thanks to everyone (all 57!) who answered my query on the semantics of
'hungry'. First I reprint the original query, then I will give a
summary and an analysis of the results, and finally I
will give a list of the people who replied to my message.

THE ORIGINAL QUERY

In connection with my thesis on adjectival (formal) semantics, I want
to exemplify the many possible ways of expressing 'adjectival'
concepts; especially stage-level 'human propensity' adjectives. The
concept I use as an example is 'hungry'.

Many languages use an adjective just as English, some languages uses
other strategies, but I have problems finding examples.

Please send translations (with interlinear word-for-word translation)
to sharder at ling.aau.dk for the sentence 'I am hungry' for as many
languages as possible, especially languages that do not use a
predicative adjective. (I will of course let the list know of my
results).

One example I am especially interested in would be a language that use
an abstract noun as 'acting' subject and has the perceiver as object
(no preposition) (paraphrase: 'Hunger takes me').

The types I have found until now are (please let me know of corrections):

adjective: English, Danish, Czech, Lithuanian, Urdu, (Norwegian)
Romany, Turkish, Welsh (?! 'newynawl' or 'newynawg').

verb ('He hungers'): Plains Miwok (California)

abstract noun as object ('I have hunger'): Romance (French, Italian,
Spanish), German, Albanian,
('I feel hunger'): Hausa

prepositional phrase (abstract noun subject, perceiver in 'locational'
PP) ('Hunger is on me'): Celtic (Irish, Breton, but not Welsh?).

Thank you very much,
Soren Harder

SUMMARY

I first give a list of different strategies (with examples) of
representing the concept of 'hungry' as in 'I am hungry'. It is my
impression that for all languages, the construction given for 'hungry'
is not a 'singleton', but repeated for a (small) set of other concept,
e.g. 'thirsty', 'sleepy', 'scared' or 'ashamed'. For each language I
have selected the one strategy that it appears to me from your answers
is the most used (sometimes more than one strategy for a language is
noted, if I have the impression that they are both 'natural'). Most of
the results I have referred to in my original posting are not included
below, as I discovered from the replies I got, that some of them were
in error. This just show the danger of the
dictionary-and-grammar-reading methodology of typological studies in
unexperienced hands as mine.

As I may not have made explicit in my original message, this study is
made more out of curiousity than as part of a systematic research
project. (Actually it was meant to support some claims I'm making
in the preface to my thesis on formal semantics of adjectives in
Danish and English). I do not (as of now) plan to publish these
results in any other form than this. But if my material can be of any
help to people doing 'real research' in this area, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

%%%% PRIMARY EXPRESSIONS %%%%

AS ADJECTIVES: ~"I am hungry"

1) 1sg-pron COP 'hungry'
English: I am hungry
Swedish: Jeg r hungrig
Dialectal Swedish (Skna, SW-Sweden): Jeg r sulten
Danish: Jeg er sulten
Afrikaans: Ek is honger (Note! This is different from Dutch)

2) Copular-drop languages: 1sg-pron 'hungry'
Arabic: 'ana jauCaan  (C is a voiced pharyngeal fricative; Arabic also uses verbal
strategy)
Russian: ja goloden (the adj. is declinated for gender, here masc;
the so-called 'short form' of the adjective is used)
Rusyn: Ya holoden

3) Pro-drop
Hungarian: ehes vagyok (hungry I-am)
Polish: Jestem glodny (COP-1sg hungry-masc-sg) (but: 'Chce mi sie pic'
"It is wanted for me to drink" for 'I'm thirsty')

4) Others
Tagalog:
Ako'y gutom na gutom na.
1SG:REF:INV hungry LIG hungry ASP
I am already famished.
  REF=referential, INV=inverse, LIG=ligature, linker, ASP=aspect

Basque:
Larry Trask (larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk) writes:

      You could hardly have picked a more complicated example from the
      Basque point of view, since `I'm hungry' is expressed in quite
      different ways in the several regional varieties of Basque.

      Basque <gose> is both a noun meaning `hunger' and an adjective
      meaning `hungry'; this is one of about two dozen ancient words
      which function like this.  Normally, nouns and adjectives are
      rather sharply distinct in Basque.

      Eastern Basque usually has this: <Gose naiz.> Here <naiz> is `I
      am', a form of the ordinary copular verb <izan> `be'.  This is
      slightly unusual, in that a predicate adjective usually bears
      the article <-a> (singular) or <-ak> (plural), and hence we
      might have expected <Gosea naiz.> But this is not usual, and
      Lafitte, in his famous grammar of French Basque, reports that
      this form has the specialized sense of `I'm starving', `I'm
      famished'.  Unusual.

      A standard reference source reports another possibility in
      French Basque: <Gosez nago>.  Here the ending <-z> is the
      ordinary instrumental case-ending, which often has assorted
      adverbial functions, and <nago> is a form of the second copular
      verb <egon>, which typically expresses `be (in a temporary
      condition)'.

      But western Basque has a very different construction: <Goseak
      nago>.  Here <gose> takes the singular article <-a> followed by
      the ergative case-suffix <-k> (Basque is morphologically
      ergative), but the verb is again the intransitive <nago>.  I
      believe that <gose> is the only word in the language that
      behaves in this strange manner: normally the ergative functions
      *only* as the subject of a transitive verb.  Grammarians
      routinely explain this odd form by suggesting that it is a
      contraction of something like *<Goseak hartuta nago> `I am taken
      by hunger', more literally `I am having-been-taken by hunger',
      still more literally `I am hunger-taken'.  Here <hartu> is the
      transitive verb `take'; <goseak> is its subject and hence
      ergative; and the ending <-ta> converts the whole thing into an
      adverbial participle phrase.  (It is characteristic of <egon>
      that it takes complements which are formerly adverbial, not
      adjectival, in contrast to <izan>, which takes adjectival
      complements.)

      In support of this, note that western Basque also has <Lokartuta
      nago> `I'm sleepy', which is transparently from *<Loak hartuta
      nago> `I am taken by sleep', with <lo> `sleep' (noun).

To complicate this Iraide Ibarretxe (iraide at ling.ed.ac.uk) gives the
form 'gose nago' for Basque.

Welsh and Czech do not (normally) use adjectives, as I claimed in my