9.1287, Sum: Summary "Current Relevance"

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 16 19:53:28 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1287. Wed Sep 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1287, Sum: Summary "Current Relevance"

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Moderator & Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 06 Aug 1998 12:46:46 +0900
From:  Yoshioka Junko <i98de03 at stu.kansai-gaidai-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  SUM. "query" Any volunteers? "Current Relevance"

Date:  Thu, 06 Aug 1998 12:46:46 +0900
From:  Yoshioka Junko <i98de03 at stu.kansai-gaidai-u.ac.jp>

In the end of June I raised a question about "Current Relevance".  I asked you to tell me
which expression is more suitable in each of the following examples.

Tom is a world famous singer.  However, he has been in hospital for five years, and is now
over 70 years old.  There is no possibility that he will have his concert in the future.
Q1: (Have you ever been, Did you ever go) to a Tom concert?
Q2: (Have you ever met, Did you ever meet) Tom?

Q3: Newton (has explained, explained) the movements of the moon.
Q4: A: Have you ever been to Japan?
    B: Yes, I (have been there, went there) in 1960.

Soon after that I got 28 e-mails.  Thank you for answering my question.  I would express my
sincere thanks to the followiong people who supplied useful data:
Karen Davis, Peter T. Daniels, Dave Braze, Michael Moss, Aimee Johansen, Hersey Scott, J.L.
Morris, Kenneth Koosmann, Eric, Linda Merlo, Gerald B Mathias, Karen Ward, Earl Herrick,
Eleanor Batchelder, A.F. Gupta, Deborah Milam Berkley, Tim Beasley, John Mackin, John
Atkinson, Anne Marie Augustus, Larry Trask, Nancy Frishberg, William Morris, Nick Quaintmere,
Erdogan Erturkoglu, Ma. Teresa Macias Rabago, Marc & Brigitta.

The result of this inquiry is as follows:

         the Present Perfect  the Simple Past   Both

     Q1         7                     15          6
     Q2        12                     10          6
     Q3         0                     22          6
     Q4         0                     27          1