9.1318, Qs: Argument, Cognates, Negotiation, Gaps

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 22 22:58:39 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1318. Tue Sep 22 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1318, Qs: Argument, Cognates, Negotiation, Gaps

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:35:57 EDT
From:  AJDeFaz at aol.com
Subject:  Argument Structure

2)
Date:  Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:57:11 EDT
From:  JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject:  Cognate Block

3)
Date:  Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:32:24 +0000
From:  "Wilfried Oeller" <a6702821 at unet.univie.ac.at>
Subject:  Negotiation

4)
Date:  Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:46:40 EDT
From:  Julie A Legate <jlegate at MIT.EDU>
Subject:  Paradigmatic Gaps

Date:  Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:35:57 EDT
From:  AJDeFaz at aol.com

I am wondering if someone could suggest references or current thinking
on argument structure in verbs like act, behave, etc.  They seem to
require adverbs (He acts well, They behaved badly) as complements, yet
how does fit into current thinking on argument structure. Jacobs, in
his syntax book for teachers, says that arguments are either NP's or
clauses.  Any clarification of this would be appreciated.  Tony
DeFazio (ajdefaz @ aol.com)