9.1321, Qs: Ling textbook reviews, Applied ling, VARBRUL

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 23 22:59:27 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1321. Wed Sep 23 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1321, Qs: Ling textbook reviews, Applied ling, VARBRUL

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:21:10 +1000
From:  Duncan Markham <dmarkham at deakin.edu.au>
Subject:  Text book reviews

2)
Date:  Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:09:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Tessa Troughton <t_troughton at yahoo.com>
Subject:  metalinguistic assessment query

3)
Date:  Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:20:13 +0200
From:  Mario Cal Varela <iamario at usc.es>
Subject:  VARBRUL

Date:  Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:21:10 +1000
From:  Duncan Markham <dmarkham at deakin.edu.au>

THIS MESSAGE was sent to LinguistList in July, but as many Northern
Hemisphere linguists may have been on holiday, I am posting this
again, more widely.

Dear Colleagues,

What are your favourite textbooks, most hated textbooks, most
imaginative textbooks, least proofread textbooks...? I am attempting
to compile reviews and opinions of textbooks used in some areas of
linguistics teaching. The collected material will then be made
available on WWW for all interested parties to access.

I welcome contributions about textbooks in languages other than
English (please provide a review in English, though)!

The areas for which I am seeking responses are:

* introductory linguistics
* phonetics (and subdisciplines)
* phonology
* sociolinguistics
* second language acquisition
* psycholinguistics

Contributions can be anonymous if necessary.

If possible, please give some details of

* the context in which you have used a book (eg, level of study (eg,
2nd year), general calibre of students taking the subject, number of
students, whether it was used as the primary or only reading),

* how long the book has been used in your / your institution's
teaching

* the strengths and/or weaknesses of the book in terms of, eg,
content, presentation, comprehensiveness, errors, breadth of
application, etc.

* and anything else you want to add!

The URL of this teaching resource will be forwarded to relevant lists
when the results have been compiled.

Thank you.
Duncan Markham

Dr Duncan Markham    dmarkham at deakin.edu.au  ph:+61-(0)3-92517149
http://arts.deakin.edu.au/slcs/staff/dmarkham/      fax: 92446755
Office: F2.22, Burwood campus
Linguistics, Literary & Communication Studies,
Deakin University, 221 Burwood Hwy, Burwood  VIC  3125, AUSTRALIA