9.1334, Qs: Parsing, Native Culture, Business Dictionary

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 26 16:18:45 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1334. Sat Sep 26 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1334, Qs: Parsing, Native Culture, Business Dictionary

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:44:03 +0200
From:  Marius Doornenbal <marius at huminf.nl>
Subject:  Parsing incomplete data

2)
Date:  Thu, 24 Sep 1998 19:28:13 +0100
From:  David Hardisty <David.Hardisty at ip.pt>
Subject:  Cultural equivalent of 'native speaker'?

3)
Date:  Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:21:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:  moubtassime at fesnet.net.ma
Subject:  Business Dictionary

Date:  Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:44:03 +0200
From:  Marius Doornenbal <marius at huminf.nl>

Who knows whether and where I can find good, comprehensive information on
parsing incomplete chunks of text (by computer)? My job is to create
parsing tools that come up with some information on the contents of text,
no matter if it is garbled or parts of it are dislocated. In my opinion,
this task typically requires building structures as good as possible
(bottom-up), and after that, connecting these structures in some pragmatic,
error-correcting way to make the best guess which expression was meant
(top-down).

I suppose that there be some standard textbooks or Web-material dedicated
to this problem; the task of spelling-correction presupposes some kind of
tool that is garbage-resistant. Maybe there are standard tools or code
available to tackle this problem; that would be even more interesting.

Who knows where I can start my search?

Marius Doornenbal
Human Inference (Arnhem, The Netherlands)
marius at huminf.nl