10.497, All: LINGUIST Mirror in Western Europe

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 6 20:11:56 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-497. Tue Apr 6 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.497, All: LINGUIST Mirror in Western Europe

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:18:43 +0200
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  LINGUIST Mirror

Date:  Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:18:43 +0200
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at linguistlist.org>

Dear Subscribers:

Those of you in Western Europe may have noticed that the LINGUIST
mirror at the University of Tuebingen has ceased to function.  We
understand that the main reason why this has occurred is because the
sysop in control of the machine felt that 600 megabytes -- the amount
of space the mirror uses -- was too large for a single linguistic
site.

We will, of course, make every effort to replace the mirror as soon as
possible.  We understand only too well that the two sites remaining --
one in the United States and one at the State University of Moscow in
Russia -- do not give Western Europeans the rapid access which the
Tuebingen mirror provided.

We would like to take the opportunity here to thank Graham Katz of the
University of Tuebingen, who set up the site and maintained it for
three years.  We are sure that he made every effort to change the
sysop's mind. Alas, he was unsuccessful.

We append here the message which Graham sent us for distribution to
the list.

Anthony Aristar
Moderator, LINGUIST

 Subject: LINGUIST Mirror at Tuebingen
 From: Graham Katz    katz at sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de

As many western European readers may have noticed, the LINGUIST mirror
site at the University of Tuebingen has been unavailable for some time
now.

Hacker activity unrelated to LINGUIST disrupted the service, and we
have decided for independent reasons not to continue it.

I am aware that a large number of readers found this a valuable
service and hope that someone in western Europe with extra hard disk
space will be able to step in and take over the mirror from us.

It is really easy to do.  After setting up the mirror three years ago,
we haven't had to think about it until now.

Best,

Graham Katz
Seminar fuer Sprachwissenschaft