10.531, FYI: Cantonese lang project, Joan Tate article

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 13 13:43:40 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-531. Tue Apr 13 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.531, FYI: Cantonese lang project, Joan Tate article

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:35:42 -0700
From:  Chai-Shune Katrina Hsu <cshsu at Nuance.COM>
Subject:  Cantonese Language Project

2)
Date:  Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:48:25 +0300 (EET DST)
From:  Deborah D K Ruuskanen <druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject:  Joan Tate article on 'machine' translation

Date:  Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:35:42 -0700
From:  Chai-Shune Katrina Hsu <cshsu at Nuance.COM>

Do you speak Cantonese?

Nuance Communications, a US-based speech recognition company, is
looking for native fluent speakers of Cantonese between the ages of 18
and 65 to participate in a Cantonese language project.

We are starting an effort to bring up a speech recognition system for
Cantonese, and will need lots of speech data.

Can you help us by donating a few minutes of your speech?  The call
will last about 10 minutes, and is free when placed from the US or
Canada.  To thank you for your time, callers will be entered into a
prize drawing for $500.  Callers residing in the US must be US
resident to be eligible for the prize.

If you would like to help us in this effort, please email your name
and mailing address to cshsu at nuance.com, and we will send you a
reading script.

Thank you for your interest, and please pass this email to the
Cantonese speakers you know.