10.535, All: In Memoriam: James McCawley

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 14 02:21:22 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-535. Tue Apr 13 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.535, All: In Memoriam: James McCawley

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:37:20 -0700
From:  "John A. Goldsmith" <jagoldsm at midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject:  James McCawley

Date:  Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:37:20 -0700
From:  "John A. Goldsmith" <jagoldsm at midway.uchicago.edu>

We are deeply saddened by the sudden loss of our colleague and friend James D.
McCawley this past Saturday, April 10, 1999.

Jim was the teacher, colleague, and friend of many people in linguistics who
admired him greatly for his deep humanity and decency, his intellect, and the
wide spectrum of things he loved and loved to share. He was the Andrew McLeish
Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and East Asian Languages at the
University of Chicago, and a scholar of an enormous range of subjects,
including "syntax and semantics, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, and miscellaneous
other subjects, ranging from writing systems to philosophy of science," as he
put it.

During the upcoming Chicago Linguistics Society meeting, we will share
reminiscences of Jim's life and career (Friday, April 23, 2-3 p.m.)

Information about funeral arrangements may be obtained by
consulting the Department of Linguistics' web-page at
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/linguistics/

The University of Chicago will hold a memorial service later
in the spring; the date has not yet been established.

John Goldsmith
Department of Linguistics
University of Chicago
1010 East 59th Street