10.548, Sum: TA Course Load

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Apr 17 01:15:55 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-548. Fri Apr 16 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.548, Sum: TA Course Load

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:01:35 -0600
From:  david at ling.uta.edu (David J. Silva)
Subject:  TA Course Load Summary

Date:  Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:01:35 -0600
From:  david at ling.uta.edu (David J. Silva)

graduate student teaching/research and course loads at other
universities, I posted a message to LINGUIST asking for feedback.
Within 18 hours, I received 23 responses.  Many thanks to those who
volunteered information.

Here's a summary, leaving the names of individual schools out of the
picture.

My limited sample (n=23) indicates three types of schools:

1.  TAs/RAs receive no special treatment; they must be "fully
enrolled" students (however such status is defined).  It appears that
in all cases, full-time students take 3 courses per term.
>>> THERE were seven (7) such universities; all are publicly-funded.

2.  TAs (and maybe RAs?)  must be enrolled as full-time students, but
part of their course load is dedicated to "training" or
"apprenticeship."  In these cases, all students registered for 4 (or
3) courses, with TAs getting a course's worth of credit for their
teaching, bringing their "real" course work down to 3 (or 2) courses.
>>>  THERE were three (3) such universities, 2 private, 1 public.

3. TAs/RAs can (and generally *do*) enroll in fewer courses than
non-employed students; generally the reduction is one course unit (3-
or 4-credit hours, depending).
>>>  THERE were ten (10) such universities, 2 private, 8 public.

There were also three (3) schools for which I could not determine if
there was a difference between employed and non-employed graduate
students.

Again, thanks to those who responded so quickly.

- David J. Silva

David James SILVA, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Associate Director, Linguistics Program