10.549, All: In Memoriam: James McCawley

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Apr 17 01:57:03 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-549. Fri Apr 16 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.549, All: In Memoriam: James McCawley

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 14 Apr 1999 02:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)
Subject:  In Memoriam: James McCawley

2)
Date:  Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:40:18 -0700
From:  eddy gaytan <egaytan at midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject:  Jim McCawley, in memoriam

Date:  Wed, 14 Apr 1999 02:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (bwald)

I was very surprised and deeply saddened to receive the news of James
McCawley's sudden and unexpected passing.  When I saw him at the LSA
in LA at the beginning of January, I had no idea it would be the last
time I would see him and enjoy his brilliant conversation and
penetrating extemporaneous comments.  After over thirty years I had
come to take it for granted that if I managed to get myself to the
LSA, among other meetings, he would be among the rewards that would
make the meeting worthwhile for me.  I regret that I will not be able
to attend his memorial service in Chicago to pay my last and deepest
respects for him, so I feel a great urge to immediately express my
sorrow and respect through this message at least, and no doubt it will
be among the simplest and least capable of many messages that will
come in about him.

He was a great scholar and linguist, astonishingly widely and deeply
knowledgeable, honest, clear, sensitive, humourous, witty, and warm.
Although I never took a class with him, I can tell from his many
wonderful publications, and certainly from informal conversation with
him, that he was also a great teacher.  Although it is small
consolation at this time, especially for those closest to him, his
spirit will live on in his writings and continue to touch those who
did not have the opportunity to be more personally touched by him.