10.587, Qs: Tech Translation, CD/ROM/Fr., Spatial Exp.

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 23 15:42:06 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-587. Fri Apr 23 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.587, Qs: Tech Translation, CD/ROM/Fr., Spatial Exp.

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:27:32 +0200
From:  Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>
Subject:  Psychology-based studies on technical writing

2)
Date:  Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:25:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Michael Kliffer <kliffer at mcmail.cis.McMaster.CA>
Subject:  Reviews of French dictionaries

3)
Date:  Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:31:45 +0000
From:  mcintyre at rz.uni-leipzig.de
Subject:  spatial expressions: region of interaction; animacy

Date:  Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:27:32 +0200
From:  Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>

Dear colleagues,

I have come across a few books lately (e.g., The Possibility of
Language by Alan Melby, Knowledge and Skills in Translator Behavior by
Wolfram Wilss, Language Engineering and Translation by Juan Sager,
Training the Translator [sorry I cannot remember the author's name:
the book is at home], etc) that discuss various psychological,
cognitive, and psycholinguistic factors involved in the process by
which a human translator translates text from one language into
another.

I would be interested in knowing what books and training manuals
discuss psychological and cognitive issues in the area of learning
technical writing.  This could also include language acquisition for
Language for Special Purposes (LSP) domains.  I can imagine that in
many cases there is a section of a book or a chapter devoted to the
topic, yet it might not be reflected in the book title.

I would be willing to post a summary based on responses received.

Please reply to me directly at <jeff at elda.fr>

Best regards,

Jeff Allen

Jeff ALLEN - Directeur Technique
European Language Resources Association (ELRA)  &
European Language resources Distribution Agency (ELDA)
(Agence Europ\233enne de Distribution des Ressources Linguistiques)
55, rue Brillat-Savarin
75013   Paris   FRANCE
Tel: (+33) 1.43.13.33.33 - Fax: (+33) 1.43.13.33.30
mailto:jeff at elda.fr
http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/home.html