10.592, Qs: Hornstein, Language, Summer Courses

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Apr 25 21:10:58 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-592. Sun Apr 25 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.592, Qs: Hornstein, Language, Summer Courses

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 24 Apr 1999 08:03:11 -0400
From:  Ana Teresa Perez-Leroux <atp2 at psu.edu>
Subject:  Hornstein's 'de se'

2)
Date:  Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:46:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:  barnhaj4769 at uni.edu
Subject:  Language

3)
Date:  Sun, 25 Apr 1999 14:22:42 +0200
From:  <judith.schittenkopf at uibk.ac.at>
Subject:  SLA summer courses

Date:  Sat, 24 Apr 1999 08:03:11 -0400
From:  Ana Teresa Perez-Leroux <atp2 at psu.edu>

Dear colleagues,

In Hornstein's recent LI article, he uses the term 'de se', in regards
to a particular interpretation of infinitivals clauses with mental
verbs.  I believe that it refers to something like the contrast
between the internal versus the external representation of a mental
event, i.e., something like the difference between (1) & (2)

(1)	I remember that I lent you the book,		[the fact]
(2)	but I don't remember lending you the book.	[the internal
        				                 memory of the event]

I am not sure this is correct, and have not been able to find other
printed references to the term 'de se'. I would appreciate
clarification or corrections in regards to this term, and any
references that may help.

Many thanks,
Ana Perez-Leroux