10.604, Sum: Hornstein's 'de se'

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 27 07:12:00 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-604. Tue Apr 27 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.604, Sum: Hornstein's 'de se'

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:36:41 -0500
From:  Ana Perez-Leroux <atp2 at psu.edu>
Subject:  summary of 'de se' responses

Date:  Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:36:41 -0500
From:  Ana Perez-Leroux <atp2 at psu.edu>

Dear linguists,

In reference to my query on Hornstein's usage of the term 'de se', in
his article in Linguistic Inquiry early this year, I received responses
from:

Donald Stahl <donaldstahl at hotmail.com>
Cassian Braconnier <cassian at worldnet.net>
Hornstein (via Mari Broman Olsen <molsen at umiacs.umd.edu>, who kindly
					submitted the query to Hornstein)
Luis Fernando Alonso Ovalle & Alejandra Barriales Bouche
					<luisalo at acad.umass.edu>

SUMMARY OF RESPONSES
- ------
The term was introduced by the philosopher David Lewis in a paper in
the Philosophical Review. It was coined in the context of the
philosophical terminology "de dicto" and "de re." "De dicto" (or
dictu) means relying on the words used to convey a bit of information
as opposed to relying only upon the thing spoken of for the
statement's truth or falsity. E.g., 'It is possible that the Morning
Star is not the Evening Star.' is true de dicto, but not de re.

"De se" is supposed to mean that the statement's truth value depends
upon the speaker only (I think).
- ----------
Read Higginbotham's paper in the Control volume for a long discussion
of 'de se' readings.  N
- ---------
The use of the term 'de se' appears in a classic paper by Lewis [no
reference was provided], referring to a contrast with 'de re' readings.
Its integration in the semantics literature is mainly due to Chierchia's
work [no reference provided],and has had interesting implications for
temporal semantics.

[My translation & summary of original response]

Gratefully,
Ana Perez-Leroux

Ana Teresa Perez-Leroux
Assistant Professor of Spanish and Linguistics
Dept. of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese
The Pennsylvania State University
352 N.Burrowes Bldg.
University Park, PA 16802
tel: (814) 865-6252/ messages at 865-4252
Fax: (814) 863-7944