10.615, Disc: Possession in Hebrew

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 28 21:06:01 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-615. Wed Apr 28 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.615, Disc: Possession in Hebrew

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 27 Apr 15:28:23 1999
From:  cldue <cldue at unicum.de>
Subject:  Re: 10.602, Disc: Possession in Hebrew

2)
Date:  Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:40:04 -0400
From:  Mohamed Diriye Abdullahi <diriyeam at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA>

3)
Date:  Wed, 28 Apr 1999 00:02:09 +0200
From:  "BIRKS" <ibirks at club-internet.fr>
Subject:  Disc: Possession in Hebrew

4)
Date:  Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:56:19 +0700
From:  Viatscheslav Iatsko <slavay at khsu.khakassia.ru>

Date:  Tue, 27 Apr 15:28:23 1999
From:  cldue <cldue at unicum.de>

 Re: LINGUIST 10.602, Disc: Possession in Hebrew

Robert R. Ratcliffe concluded and maximally generalized his statement
re possession-verb markedness by asking

>In the meantime does anyone know of a non-IE language which 'has' (=in
>which there exists) a verb with more or less the range of functions
>and senses as Eng. "have"?

Basque at any rate does have such a verb, #ukan#, with two series of
finite ("synthetic") forms, based on a shorter and a longer stem
variant respectively (the historical details of the alternation are
unknown to me).  Both function morphosyntactically like "transitive"
verbs, with an ergative possessor. The short forms (like #du# "3sg has
3sg") both express the whole range of "possession" in much the same
way as do E #have# or Sp #tener# and serve as transitive auxiliaries
(like have/haber).  The longer forms (like #dauka# "3sg has/holds
3sg") imply a higher degree of (physical) control of the possessed
object by the possessor.  This semantics may be the most original one
(as it is with #have#, ultimately a stative derived verb cognate with
Latin #capere# historically) but the fact remains that (short-form)
#ukan# works much like #have#, and moreover that the language, to the
extent that I know it, does NOT make use of a dative or postpositional
phrase + (the locative/existen!  tial of the two) #be#(s) to encode
possession alongside the transitive verb.

Christian L. Duetschmann
Bochum, Germany
cldue at unicum.de