10.1153, Qs: Computers & Reconstruction, Serbian Aspect

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 4 14:50:55 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1153. Mon Aug 2 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1153, Qs: Computers & Reconstruction, Serbian Aspect

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:47:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Kari Kraus <kkru at mail.rochester.edu>
Subject:  Computer-aided Techniques in Reconstruction

2)
Date:  Sun, 01 Aug 1999 11:34:17 +0200
From:  Jovan & Jelena Filipovic <jfilipovic at sezampro.yu>
Subject:  verb aspect in Serbian

Date:  Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:47:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Kari Kraus <kkru at mail.rochester.edu>

I'd like to look into computer-aided techniques in language
reconstruction.  For instance, is there any software available or in the
pipeline that helps the researcher apply (or rather reverse) the
systematic sound changes that language undergoes (assimilation,
epenthesis, metathesis, etc.)?  What programming language would facilitate
such a formidable undertaking?  And does such an enterprise fall within
the purview of natural language processing (i.e., is computer-aided
reconstruction an ancillary of this more comprehensive discipline?)?  I
guess what I'm really after is the technical details: does one start with
a lexical corpus marked up in SGML and then proceed from there?  I am
entering into completely unfamiliar territory and so have trouble
envisioning the various stages of the process, not to mention the kinds of
questions to be asked.

If anyone could direct me to specific journals, websites, databases,
etc. I would be most grateful.  I'm not aiming to become an expert in
this area but I would like to familiarize myself with both the state
of the art and the most important resources out there in order to keep
apace with the growth of the field.

Best wishes,

Kari Kraus
kkru at uhura.cc.rochester.edu