10.1156, FYI: THEALING/New List, LLT Vol3 Now Available

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 4 14:55:27 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1156. Mon Aug 2 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1156, FYI: THEALING/New List, LLT Vol3 Now Available

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:30:48 +1000
From:  Rob Pensalfini <r.pensalfini at mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Subject:  THEALING - theatre and linguistic theory

2)
Date:   Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:00:04 -1000
From:  Language Learning & Technology <llt at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  LLT Vol3No1 now available!

Date:  Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:30:48 +1000
From:  Rob Pensalfini <r.pensalfini at mailbox.uq.edu.au>

Announcing the establishment of a brand new, unmoderated (for now, at
least) e-mail list aimed at those with an interest in combining theatre and
linguistics.

This list is for the discussion of the application of linguistic theory to
theatre practice and training, and is designed to foster exchange of ideas
and collaboration between the disciplines and between individuals working
in this area. Some potential areas of discussion might be:
 * the role of phonetic and phonological sciences in voice training
 * contributions made by voice practitioners (e.g. voice and speech
teachers) to the linguistic sciences
 * the study of prosody in spoken text
 * the relationship between prosody and syntax in verse
 * the effect of verse versus prose on actor and audience
 * the application of discourse theory to stage performance
These topics are by no means exhaustive and are not meant to restrict the
discussion on the list to these topics. Any discussion that forges links
between theatre and linguistic theory is most welcome.

The name of the list, "thealing", is obviously cobbled together from the
words 'theatre' and 'linguistics', but the resultant pun on 'healing' is
not entirely accidental. The list was born from a desire to see greater
communication and collaboration between traditions with different
perspectives on voice and language, perspectives which have been strangers
for far too long.

with the command "subscribe thealing" (without the quotes). It is a good
idea to turn signature files off when doing so. This will subscribe the
e-mail address from which the message was sent. If you wish to subscribe
another email address, the command should be "subscribe thealing
<YOUR_EMAIL_HERE>" (again without the quotes). You will then be sent a
message asking you to confirm your desire to be subscribed to the list.

Rob

*************************

Rob Pensalfini
Lecturer in Linguistics
Department of English
The University of Queensland
Brisbane, Qld 4072
Australia

Telephone: (07) 3365 2245 (office)
	   (07) 3870 2853 (home)

"Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."
			- King Lear, Will Shakespeare