10.1207, Qs: Eng/Fr Comparative Cond., Negative Raising

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 16 15:40:22 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1207. Mon Aug 16 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1207, Qs: Eng/Fr Comparative Cond., Negative Raising

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:26:25 -0700
From:  eddy gaytan <egaytan at midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject:  English/French Comparative conditionals/ "the   more[...]-contruction

2)
Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:10:12 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-tanaka at ma2.justnet.ne.jp>
Subject:  "Negative raising" or "Transferred negation"

Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:26:25 -0700
From:  eddy gaytan <egaytan at midway.uchicago.edu>

Dear members of linguislist,

I am interested in the semantics of comparative conditionals (ie., the more
you it, the less you want) in English and French (plus tu manges...).
Specifically, I would like to get analysis of these constructions done
within the framework of Cognitive Grammar (Langacker, 1987, 1991). Does any
body know of any relevant  literature? Thank you, in advance. E.G