10.1236, Qs: Shina: Grammatical Label, Word Order Universal

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 23 15:44:47 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1236. Mon Aug 23 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1236, Qs: Shina: Grammatical Label, Word Order Universal

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 22 Aug 1999 16:27:03 +0200
From:  "Ruth Laila Schmidt" <r.l.schmidt at east.uio.no>
Subject:  Shina: Searching for a grammatical label

2)
Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:34:31 -0700
From:  "Gert Webelhuth" <webelhuth at unc.edu>
Subject:  Word order universal?

Date:  Sun, 22 Aug 1999 16:27:03 +0200
From:  "Ruth Laila Schmidt" <r.l.schmidt at east.uio.no>

Dear colleagues,

The Shina language has verbal sequences which are superficially like the
noun-plus-verb conjunct sequences familiar in other Indo-Aryan languages.
However the first element in these sequences is not really a noun (nor is
it a verb).  Examples:

tam doók, 'to bathe (to give bathing)'
phal thoók, 'to throw (to do throwing)'

tam and phal occupy the same position in the sequence as a real
noun-plus-verb sequence like:

al doók 'to jump (to give a jump)'

- however they are not nouns, cannot be modified by adjectives, do not take
nominal inflections, and occur only in verb sequences, usually with one or
at the most two operator verbs. al, 'jump' on the other hand behaves like a
noun and occurs independently.

On behalf of a colleague and myself I am requesting references to this
phenomenon in other languages, in order to find a descriptive term for
words like tam and phal. We are unhappy with "gerund" because the words are
not derived from verbs. "Verbal noun" is not accurate as they are not
nouns. "Auxiliary" is not accurate because these words do not function like
auxiliaries, and in any case Shina has real auxiliaries. "Main verb" will
not do because these words are not verbs, and in any case, Shina also has
verb-plus-verb compound sequences, for which we would like to reserve the
term "main verb" for the first element. I have been loosely referring to
them as "indeclinable nominals", but would like some better defined term
preferably with a precedent in a description of this phenomenon in another
language.

Kindly send references directly to me at: r.l.schmidt at east.uio.no

With thanks and best wishes,

Ruth Laila Schmidt

Ruth Laila Schmidt
Dept of East European and Oriental Studies
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1030 Blindern
N-0315 Oslo, Norway
Phone: (47) 22 85 55 86