10.1829, Sum: for Query:10.1703:Ling Theories/Websites

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 1 01:05:10 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1829. Tue Nov 30 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1829, Sum: for Query:10.1703:Ling Theories/Websites

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:30:59 -0800 (PST)
From:  Jennifer Golding<golding_j at yahoo.com>
Subject:  for Query:10.1703:Ling Theories/Websites

Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:30:59 -0800 (PST)
From:  Jennifer Golding<golding_j at yahoo.com>

Dear Colleagues,

Three weeks ago I posted a query concerning linguistic approaches or
theories represented on the WWW (LINGUIST List vol. 10.1703).

I have received about a dozen responses. Many thanks to those who sent
me their URLs. In addition, I have hunted out some more sites myself,
which are also listed in the summary below.

Among the URLs which I received from fellow netters, there were some
which simply contain information about conferences, institutes,
companies, or the work of individual linguists, rather than
representing or describing linguistic approaches or theories in a
narrow sense. Such sites are deliberately not included in this
summary. I have also excluded a number of sites which either contain
very little information, or are at an early stage of construction.

The remaining sites are listed below in two groups: The first group
contains major sites which give a fairly comprehensive account of
their respective approaches or theories. Among this first group, the
home page of Integrational Linguistics (which was the original
starting point for my query) still stands out from the rest. It is, as
far as I can see, not only the most sophisticated linguistic home page
in terms of its comprehensiveness and of its presentation, but also
represents the most elaborate and comprehensive theory of language
among all of the approaches listed here. I wondered why it was that I
had never in the course of my studies in the US heard of this
approach.

The second group contains a number of minor sites which cannot claim
any degree of comprehensiveness but are still devoted to individual
theories and are, therefore, worth mentioning.

Jennifer Golding
Fukuoka (Japan)

Major Websites
===============

- Dependency-Based Approaches to Natural Language Syntax
   http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/dg/dgmain.html

- Distributed Morphology (DM)
   http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~rnoyer/dm/

- Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar (HPSG)
   http://hpsg.stanford.edu/

- Integrational Linguistics (IL)
   http://www.germanistik.fu-berlin.de/il

- Lexeme-Morpheme Base Morphology (LMBM)
   http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/index.html

- Lexical Functional Grammar (LFG)
   http://clwww.essex.ac.uk/LFG/

- Word Grammar