10.1867, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 4 16:56:01 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1867. Sat Dec 4 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1867, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:21:48 -0700
From:  Lee Fullerton <glf at u.arizona.edu>
Subject:  Re: 10.1855, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

2)
Date:  Fri, 03 Dec 1999 15:20:23 -0400
From:  Ronald Cosper <Ronald.Cosper at STMARYS.CA>
Subject:  Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

3)
Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:09:07 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jorge Guitart <guitart at acsu.buffalo.edu>
Subject:  Re: 10.1857, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

4)
Date:  Fri, 03 Dec 1999 00:49:56 +0100
From:  Celso Alvarez Caccamo <lxalvarz at udc.es>
Subject:  On allophones and thingness

Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:21:48 -0700
From:  Lee Fullerton <glf at u.arizona.edu>

On Dec. 1 Moonhawk wrote:
>And [x], let's call it a flap, may be an
>allophone of both /Y/ and /P/, let's call them /t/ and /d/, at the same
>time -- which could lead to an ambiguity sorted out by context by the
>speaker: bring me the "ladder/latter".

In American English I find three cognitive flaps (to be distinguished from
context) and three physiological types of flap.  Any one of the former can
be realized by all three of the latter.  Physiologically the tounge's tip
can meet the teeth, the alveolar ridge, or the hard palate.  Cognitively
these instantiate 1) the non-alternating flap as in _ladder_ and _gutter_,
2) the flap alternating with [t] as in _latter_ derived from _late_, 3) the
flap alternating with [d] as in _sadder_ derived from _sad_.  I'd say we
need to define three (systematic) phonemes, each with a flap allophone
having three classes of phones  distinguished by place of articulation.

Lee Fullerton