10.1876, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 6 19:48:49 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1876. Mon Dec 6 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1876, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 5 Dec 1999 15:13:05 EST
From:  Zylogy at aol.com
Subject:  Re: 10.1872, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

2)
Date:  Sun, 05 Dec 1999 18:44:03 -0800
From:  "Patrick Farrell" <pmfarrell at ucdavis.edu>
Subject:  Re: 10.1855, Disc: What Exactly Are Allophones?

3)
Date:  Mon, 06 Dec 1999 10:31:38 -0600
From:  samuel seddoh <seddoh at engr.subr.edu>
Subject:  What Exactly Are Allophones?

Date:  Sun, 5 Dec 1999 15:13:05 EST
From:  Zylogy at aol.com

I have a question for folks here: Does allophonic variation occur in
ideophones and other sound symbolically transparent lexical material? If not,
or if the extent to which it does occur is rather limited with respect to
that of phonosemantically opaque forms, would this imply that allophonic
variation itself was not basic to the lexicon (if one goes by the notion that
all lexical material must ultimately- whether inherited or borrowed or both-
concatenative distortion, would be expected to be minimal in ideophones
(which possess minimal morphology or appositionally created sandhi). What
about root-internal segmental cooccurrance? Are limitations here basic, or
derivative? Is there a relation between internal/external processes, a sort
of balancing between them?
Just thought I'd throw this into the ring.

Jess Tauber
zylogy at aol.com