10.1921, Qs: Acquisition of trills, NLP research

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Dec 12 23:33:32 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1921. Sun Dec 12 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1921, Qs: Acquisition of trills, NLP research

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:54:57 +0000
From:  Martin J Ball <mj.ball at ulst.ac.uk>
Subject:  Acquisition of trills; Rhotics

2)
Date:  Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:51:21 PST
From:  "Niladri Sekhar Dash" <niladrisekhar at hotmail.com>
Subject:  NLP

Date:  Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:54:57 +0000
From:  Martin J Ball <mj.ball at ulst.ac.uk>

Other sources having come up empty, I'd welcome help in finding
literature on the following two related topics:

1) Studies of the normal acquisition of apical trills in languages
that have them (e.g. Italian, Spanish, etc etc)

2) Discussion on the nature of the rhotic category, e.g. whether
trills and approximants can really form a single class
cross-linguistically.

Please reply directly to me; I'll be happy to post a summary if
sufficient information is forthcoming.

Martin J. Ball, PhD
Professor of Phonetics & Linguistics
University of Ulster at Jordanstown